Be it singing about kissing a girl and liking it, or lamenting over the one that got away, Katy Perry has never shied away from taking on bold lyrics or showing the world as it as through her music videos.
From the moving Firework to the rebellious Part of Me to the salacious I Kissed a Girl, to an empowering Roar, Perry has proved her supremacy in the music industry over the years. As the American pop star turned 34 today, we have made a list of lesser-known facts about her that will surprise you.
1. While the world knows her as Katy Perry, it is actually not her real name. Her actual name is Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson and to avoid confusion with the actress Kate Hudson, she took on the Katy name.
2. The pop star became the first artist to cross one billion views on Vevo for her songs- Roar and Dark Horse.
3. She is a big-time cat lover and has her own line of fragrances, aptly named Purr and Meow.
4. Her autobiographical documentary Katy Perry: Part of Me was a blockbuster hit and managed to collect a whopping $32.7 million worldwide.
5. Other than writing songs for herself, Perry has also written songs for Selena Gomez, Ashley Tisdale and Kelly Clarkson.
6. While many listen to Perry’s sing while travelling, Katy’s favourite song to listen to in the car is Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody.
7. You may have seen Perry in different hair dye over the years, but Katy’s actual hair colour is squirrel brown. She herself said in an interview, ‘I’m naturally the most boring dishwater squirrel brown. So I’ve been playing with colours since I was 15…’
9. Perry had married comedian Russell Brand in Rajasthan, India in a traditional Indian ceremony. However, the couple filed for divorce just 14 months after they got hitched.
10. You know Perry as the raunchy singer, but she was actually born in a conservative Catholic family, and both of her parents are pastors.