By: Chef Nitish Kumar Singh, Executive Sous Chef, Renaissance Bengaluru Race Course Hotel
Christmas Plum Cake
- 750 gms mixed dry fruits (raisins, black currants, cranberries, sultana, prunes, figs)
- 200 ml rum
- 1 Lemon zest
- 1 Orange zest
- 1/4 tsp clove powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 50 gms tooti fruity
- 250 gms butter
- 200 gms brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100 gms almond powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 Eggs
- Icing sugar (for decoration)
- Put all the dry fruits in a pan.
- Now add the rum and let it boil.
- Cover the pan and keep aside overnight to let it cool and the fruits to soak in brandy.
- Next morning, preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Now sift Maida, baking powder and almond powder in a bowl. Add in all the spice powders and sift again.
- In a pan, beat eggs well.
- In another deep bowl, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add lemon and orange zest.
- Add in the beaten eggs and mix everything thoroughly. Pour vanilla essence and mix again.
- Now add the sieved powder mix and whisk thoroughly. Add tooti fruity and whisk more, followed by the soaked dry fruits
- Pour some orange juice and whisk well. Now transfer the stuff in a greased pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. When the cake is cooled, drizzle icing sugar on top. Decorate it with Christmas decorations and serve.