‘Kuch kuch hota hai Rahul tum nahi samjhogey’ to ‘pyar dosti hai’ we all grew up with this roaring debut blockbuster by Bollywood’s beloved director-producer Karan Johar called- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. While Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan), Anjali (Kajol Devgan), and Tina (Rani Mukerji) became the instant hits so did Karan’s successful innings in Bollywood.
The movie hit the screens on 16th October 1998 and was one of the first ones to address the concept of the friend zone and love triangle the millennials could so relate to. KKHH was the byword for romance, the movie was filled with tear-triggering story, romantic and peppy music, cool (yet unreal) college environment, dialogues to swear by, funny characters (Almeda the Englishman), and breath-taking romance between Rahul and Anjali in Shimla. Sigh!
But amidst all this love and drama, that completed its 20 years today, you definitely must have missed these plot holes which were really unfair. Read along to know more.
- Tina leaves behind eight letters for her daughter, one for each birthday, until she turns eight, expecting her daughter to start reading from the age of one. Her mother expects her to understand the complicated love story when she is 8 and believes the child to do what she wasn’t able to do herself. Sheldon Cooper alert!
- The principal was ironically sexist on the campus, asking girls not to wear short skirts as they excite boys but it was okay if his daughter, Tina, wore it in London and then continue wearing it in his college. Also, Miss Braganza was an exception too. Slow clap, please.
- Did you see how the whole college was more invested in Anjali and Rahul than on anything else? ‘Rahul aur Anjali ka firse jhagda!’ Like the gossip mongers had no other work in college than waiting for news from the lead pair and then celebrating them.
- Rahul actually makes fun of his best friend when she dresses up funny (only to impress him). We understand it is a different thing when you make fun of your BFF alone, but laughing at you bestie in public and in front of your girlfriend, not cool Rahul.
- One of the crucial dialogues- ‘we live once, we die once, we get married once and love…’ Deep down Rahul must have been in love with Anjali but probably it was lust or attraction that pulled him towards Tina. He did all the things twice, love and marry, so who did he really love? And what if Tina was still alive? Down the road would Rahul ever have realized his feelings for Anjali? This is messed up; I am off to watch the movie again.