(By Mr. Sushant Rorane, Co-founder – Director, Adroit Biomed Ltd)
In just a few winks, the temperature has soared and the sun has already started scorching us. Along with the unforgiving heat, our skin is subjected to the various complexities associated with the season. Especially during this period, due to the increasing temperature, the humidity increases the activity of the sebaceous glands, thus making our dry skin appear patchy and dull, and oily skins oilier. The harshness of the sun’s rays also causes tanning by increasing melanin pigmentations. Melanin is the pigment that determines the color of the skin and helps you gain vitamin D which is good for the skin health. However, over exposure to the sun results in excessive production of melanin, which in turn could lead to dark spots and patches on the skin. The summer heat also causes pores to open, which get clogged with dirt and oil causing skin problems like pimples, acne and blemishes on the face.
There are certain steps one should follow during summer to keep the skin glowing and blemish free:
1) Keep the skin Hydrated: Summer is the time when our skin needs hydration. It is also very important to choose the right kind of hydrating serum during summer which will hydrate the skin and makes it look radiant. People with sensitive skin should consult a dermatologist and preferably use dermatologically tested products which are mild and Sulphur free. Ceramosides, the only oral moisturizers- a globally acclaimed wheat derived nutraceuticals ingredient can help boost skin’s hydration level resulting in a glowing effect. In fact, it is an amazing oral moisturizer which works from within, giving you hydration from head to toe! Innovations such as these are leading to creation of nutraceuticals, in the form of oral moisturizers, would help fix these problems intrinsically, allowing for a holistic wellbeing.
2) Cut down on makeup and get a Glutathione glow: Summer is the time when you should ease up on the makeup and go all natural. Excess makeup clogs pores and leaves the skin dull. Humidity and heat vanquishes the skin’s ability to breathe. To go all natural, the skin should look beautiful and lively from within. Keeping in mind the busy schedule, it gets very difficult to follow a strict skin care regime, as we tend to forget things amidst the rat race. We neglect ourselves and take unnecessary stress which affects our skin health. Nutraceuticals such as Glutathione play a very important role in the health of our skin, particularly in terms of pigmentation and blemishes. Glutathione arrests the melanin growth in our body. This stops the skin from becoming too dark, and prevents formation of dark spots on the skin. Glutathione also helps to get rid of toxins and free radicals formed by the UltraViolet rays absorbed into your skin, which results in a lighter and radiant skin-tone.
3) Consumption of Vitamin C: The much revered lifestyle antioxidant and skin rejuvenating properties of Vitamin C are well known. Our skin is always fighting with the enormous quantities of free radicals produced by virtue of biological reactions and critically because of external insults such as UV radiations, pollution, and chemicals. This free radical overload (FRO) interferes in the cellular metabolism as well as leads to collagen degradation and melanin overproduction. Balancing this FRO is important to ensure health of the skin and also to prevent the loss of collagen. Vitamin C intake in natural form like “amla” extracts, helps protect your natural beauty by reducing melanin pigment, increasing production and transfer of anti-ageing protein, exerts photo-protective effects by neutralizing free radicals and helps boost collagen.
6 essential skin care tips for this summer
- Wear sunscreen: Sunscreens are your best friend this summer. Choose that has a broad 30-50 SPF and covers UVA & UVB rays
- Cut down on makeup: Avoid using anything heavy on the face. Use a tinted moisturiser, tinted lip balm and organic kohl this summer
- Drink plenty of water: Water is the most important ingredient. It keeps your skin supple, soft and radiant. Water will also flush away toxins
- Regular cleansing of skin: Slough off dead skin with loofah and regularly clean your skin. Dryness due to heat, makes dust settle on to your skin. Therefore regular washing with mild cleansers are best during the season
- Eat right: Stimulate your complexion’s collagen growth with food rich in antioxidants. Include leafy vegetables, blueberries, melons, in your diet.
It is very important to keep our skin healthy as it not only makes us beautiful but also makes us confident. Apart from wellness and beauty, nutraceuticals have also been found to address issues related to certain skin conditions, like acne and fungal infections as well. By leveraging natural compounds or solutions which tap into the intrinsic intelligence of the body, slowly emerge as trusted alternatives, thereby making us more aware and a believer of beauty from within!