We all remember Jennifer Aniston as the adorable and stylish Rachel Green from Friends, but she is anything but a girl next door type. The most cherished and equally loathed Hollywood star, Jennifer (Jen), has broken several social rules and has hit back at the criticisms like a complete badass.
Here are 7 times Aniston proved that being a rebel is the secret to living a fulfilled and kick-ass life.
1. Aniston announced divorce from Justin Theroux in 2017 and the world couldn’t stop speculating why they went their separate ways. But she quashed all such speculations and proudly announced that she is not ‘heartbroken’ to In Style Magazine.
The 49-year-old star told the outlet, ‘It’s pretty crazy. The misconceptions are “Jen can’t keep a man,” and “Jen refuses to have a baby because she’s selfish and committed to her career.” Or that I’m sad and heartbroken. First, with all due respect, I’m not heartbroken. And second, those are reckless assumptions. No one knows what’s going on behind closed doors.’
2. The Friends actress has been unfairly attacked and scrutinized by the public more often than you know. But when things got out of hand when she decided to pen an empowering essay for Huffington Post, calling out society’s ‘absurd and disturbing’ need to scrutinize women.
‘The sheer amount of resources being spent right now by press trying to simply uncover whether or not I am pregnant (for the bajillionth time … but who’s counting) points to the perpetuation of this notion that women are somehow incomplete, unsuccessful, or unhappy if they’re not married with children. We don’t need to be married or mothers to be complete. We get to determine our own ‘happily ever after’ for ourselves,’ Aniston wrote in 2016. Savage AF!
3. Jennifer still earns big bucks, 24 years after the conclusion of Friends. She was 3rd in Forbes’ list of top female earners in 2018, with a whopping $19.5 million in earnings. The actress made most of her money by endorsing the likes of Emirates airlines, Smartwater and Aveeno.
4. Aniston is not scared of taking on risky roles even in her late 40’s. Indie drama, Cake, came out in 2014 when Aniston was 45, and it was unlike anyone has ever seen her in. Aniston’s portrayal of a damaged woman suffering from chronic pain while trying to piece her life back together received strong praise from critics. She even earned her nominations for the Screen Actors Guild Award and Golden Globe Award.
5. She doesn’t mind ridiculing herself, and her appearance on Saturday Night Live back in 2016 is proof of it. When Vanessa Bayer appeared on the show with her own impression of Rachel Green on the show, Jen herself decided to appear and put an end to it (pun intended of course).
Aniston stressed, ‘Vanessa, what are you doing? Can you just drop that for a second? For the last 12 days, you’ve been texting me every day to come to visit you. I know you love Friends and we had such a great time making our movie together, but you’ve got to really try to stop texting me every day. Friends was like five million and five years ago, so I think you’ve got to move on.”
Aniston went on to evaluate Bayer’s take on the Friends character, even mocking Bayer’s Rachel impression. It was hilarious in all!
Real Rachel helping fake Rachel! ❤️ pic.twitter.com/xqomX9AvFa
— Vanessa Bayer (@vanessabayer) December 4, 2016
6. Age is just a number for Aniston. While most actresses are worried about being in their 40’s, Jen is happy being who she is.
In an interview with Glamour magazine back in 2011, the star revealed, ‘Being this side of 40 feels like what I should have felt being this side of 25: in my body, in my heart, happy with my life, and OK with whatever bumps in the road present themselves.’
7. She is not your typical Godmother and she babysits kids. Aniston revealed that she is a ‘great babysitter’ to Courtney Cox’s 12-year-old daughter with ex-husband David Arquette, Coco.
‘I let them play with my clothes and jewellery. I put them in the pool, put them in a tub, put them in your jewellery, give them your jewellery drawer,’ she admitted.