It has been years, yet Friends still lingers in the memory of people all across the world. So much that some can’t push their dinner down their throats without FRIENDS sitcom playing in front of them. Ahem! was talking about me, because it is the one true sunshine I truly live by.
Right from being Holiday Armadillo (because the stores ran out of Santa costumes) to him relieving his childhood traumas, ‘I grew up with Monica. If you didn’t eat fast, you didn’t eat at all’. And not to forget when he insisted that he and Rachel were, well you know the famous we-were-on-a-break, to him yelling ‘pivot’ to move a sofa we all loved Ross- The Divorce Force (as he named himself). While Ross is smart, polite, caring, thoughtful and kind, he is often clumsy and socially awkward- taking the characteristics of the stereotypical ‘loser nerd’. He is sometimes shown to have a good sense of humour.
In his honour and that of David Schwimmer, the genius who played him so brilliantly and also on the actor’s 42nd birthday– we’ve compiled Ross Geller’s best lines.
1. When he found out his wife, Carol, was a lesbian.
Ross: My marriage, I think my marriage is kind of over.
Ross: Because my wife’s a lesbian… And I’m not one.
2. Drunk Ross was definitely not happy with Rachel and Joey’s new relationship together. This is the definition of love was funny.
Ross: Ah, love. L-O-V-E love. ‘L’ is for life. I mean what is life without love?
Rachel: Oh my god, are we supposed to answer?
Ross: ‘O’ is for OH WOW! ‘V’ is for this very surprising turn of events which I am *still* fine with by the way. ‘EEE’ is for how extreeemeely normal I find it that you two are together and that one day you might get married… and have children of your own…
Joey: Dude, are you okay?
Rachel: Ross, you don’t seem OK.
Ross: I’m sorry, it must be the pressure of entertaining.
3. Well, this sort of broke my heart but look how the boy-in-love contemplates a break-up.
Rachel: Maybe we should take a break.
Ross: You’re right. Let’s cool off, get some frozen yoghurt.
Rachel: No, a break from us.
4. When Susan, his ex-wife’s wife, claims a surname for Ross and Susan’s baby. Insecure-insecure. (also, he had a point there)
Ross: Well, wait a minute, why is she in the title?
Susan: It’s my baby too.
Ross: Um, excuse me; I don’t remember you making any sperm.
5. When Ross got a double layer of spray Tan, looking like he was vacationing on the sun, just on his front side and had a bizarre logic of saying Mississippi after every second.
Ross: You sprayed my front twice!
The Tanning Salon Guy: You never turned?
Ross: No! I barely even got to three Mississippi.
The Tanning Salon Guy: Mississippi? I said count to five.
6. His confident definition of ‘Unagi’, which turned out to be wrong. But man that confidence. Well, one thing we learnt is- believe in something, even if it also means Salmon skin roll.
Ross- Unagi is a total state of awareness; only by achieving true Unagi can you be prepared for any danger that may befall you.
Chandler- okay are you aware Unagi is an eel?
7. When there was a major shampoo explosion in his luggage. The poor man definitely had a bad luck there.
Ross- why do bad things happen to good people?
8. When he corrected Rachel’s grammar, while they were breaking up yet again because that’s what he was best at.
Ross- Y-o-u’-r-e means you are. Y-o-u-r means your.
David is hilarious, and we can say that by his recent false controversy where the police in the U.K. posted a bulletin seeking a burglar who looked like Ross from Friends and the internet showed up in a big way. Many people questioned whether the thief was Ross at all, or merely his identical enemy Russ, returning to undermine him again. All the top comments on the post are genuinely worth a look, but some favourites include a user who noted ‘Please approach with caution. He is known to have studied Karate, and we believe he has mastered the art of Unagi, the state of total awareness.’
But look was really was very cautious about the whole incident- David Schwimmer responded to the reports on Twitter. ‘Officers, I swear it wasn’t me. As you can see, I was in New York. To the hardworking Blackpool Police, good luck with the investigation. #itwasntme.’