Saurabh Goswami, Founder-Director of Ultra Rich Match, says matrimonial frauds by unscrupulous elements who cheat genuine people on online matrimonial sites is on the rise. There have been numerous cases, most unfortunately unregistered, against individuals creating fake profiles, and cheating unsuspecting persons looking for life-partners. It is therefore necessary to take some basic safeguards when you are doing your search for a life partner through an online portal.
While a negative incidence can affect a person financially, but the worst part is the emotional and psychological damage which can often scar the person for life.
It’s up to all of us to be vigilant, and take regular security measures to avoid getting duped. Here are eight precautions you should take when looking for life partners on matchmaking sites:
1. DO NOT hesitate to ask for the prospect’s social media links, and go through them with a fine comb – how old their profile is, whether there are any discrepancies in their timeline, how genuine their pictures seem, number of friends etc. If you encounter any discrepancy, ask the person directly. Failure to provide a clear answer is usually the first warning. Block such individuals immediately, and move ahead.
2. Avoid using the email id’s linked to your bank accounts on any such online platforms. In the course of a few sweet calls, it is very easy for these fraudsters to find your personal details and use them to hack your accounts.
3. DO NOT lend any money to anyone – no matter what their gender or their age, no matter what the emergency, no matter how small the amount. ‘Refuse and Block’ is the only way to go.
4. Be cautious at all levels. If at any point of conversations, you feel that the person is asking for too many unwarranted personal details, get alert. Anyone who tries to “get serious” too quickly, or hurries you to take decisions without a proper family introduction, steer right clear of them.
5. There are independent verification agencies that do discreet background searches on any individual, including their basic social and professional details for a very nominal fee. We recommend using their services if you believe things are getting serious. Don’t hesitate, thinking that such a step could hurt your potential partner’s feelings. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
6. Getting married is once in a lifetime event! It’s prudent to economize in some areas but splurge on others. Opting for trusted matrimonial sites only is the best way. Take their personalised packages. Consider only those matrimonials who take responsibility for verifying their clients’ details. Even amongst those ‘verified’ profiles, choose the paid members. Common swindlers usually don’t bother going for paid membership.
7. God Forbid if you or your loved one does become prey to such imposters, report them immediately to the website and to the cyber police. Your actions might be able to save some other innocent person.
8. Last but definitely not the least, trust your instincts. Even if you can’t understand it, your subconscious is always a step ahead. Listen to the inner voice!