The annual, invitation-only, fundraiser event to benefit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute in the New York City or better known as the The Met Gala takes place on the first Monday of May. And this year, it was on 7th May. The event is spearheaded by US Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour since 1995 and it was co-chaired by Amal Clooney, Rihanna, Donatella Versace, Stephen and Christine Schwarzman this year.
With the theme, Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination and one could see papal-inspired gowns, angel wings, halos, rosary beads, pointed bishop’s hat and crosses, reminiscent of the Catholic influence in fashion. Like every year, the fashion soiree was attended by the prominent faces in the fashion, film, music and art industry.
Bold Outline picks some of the most striking outfits on the red carpet:
– Rihanna ascended the stairs of the Metropolitan Museum donning wearing Maison Margiela papal-inspired gown by John Galliano.
– Katy Perry wore a Versace gold, chainmail mini-dress, a giant pair of feathered wings.
– Anna Wintour arrived wearing Chanel, which she defines as “Cardinal Chanel”.
– Sarah Jessica Parker wore a gold gown by Dolce and Gabbana and headgear by Jennifer Fisher.
– Blake Lively adorned a gold and ruby brocade and bead embellished Atelier Versace gown.
– Kim Kadarshian wore a body-hugging gold sequinned Atelier Versace gown and a diamond cross necklace by Lorraine Schwartz.
– Jennifer Lopez came in a beaded and feathered Balmain gown, Jimmy Choo accessories and Tiffany jewellery.
– Cardi B showed off her baby bump in a Moschino creation by Jeremy Scott.
– Amanda Seyfried reminds of the Renaissance with a Prada gown, H.Stern tiara and wavy hairdo.
– Kate Bosworth wore a white gown by designers Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia from Oscar de la Renta.